Landon has always loved the book Wild at Heart because he relates to Eldredge's commentary on a society that so often tries to feminize boys. Much of his parenting techniques come from his desire to nurture the fierce, passionate nature of our boys that God has given them. For instance, here is a quote he recently put on his facebook:"I've noticed that so often our word to boys is don't. Don't climb on that, don't break anything, don't be so aggressive, don't be so noisy, don't be so messy, don't take such crazy risks. But God's design - which he placed in boys as the picture of Himself - is a resounding yes. Be fierce, be passionate."
- John Eldredge
As a result, our boys are rowdy risk-takers with adventurous, playful minds. I love this aspect of raising boys because I truly believe, as Landon, that it is a part of God that he has bestowed on boys. Along these same lines, girls are often characterized as the nurturing, empathetic side of God.
Yet, MAN is made in the image of God and so both boys and girls have these aspects of God, just in varying degrees. Lately, both boys have shown a precious, nurturing side with their stuffed animals. Since birth, Trenton has had a penguin and Sawyer an elephant. It warms my heart when Trenton will say, "Pino is crying because he's scared" as he holds him tightly to his chest. Or tonight, when Sawyer dragged the laundry basket into my room with elephant in it covered in a blanket and said, "shhhh baby is sleeping." This is all before Kellen is born, so it's not simply mimicking my actions with a new baby. I believe they are acting on God's glorious design for us, which includes both "male" and "female" traits. How special for me to see the care and tenderness of our Father displayed even in my rough and tumble boys.
As a result, our boys are rowdy risk-takers with adventurous, playful minds. I love this aspect of raising boys because I truly believe, as Landon, that it is a part of God that he has bestowed on boys. Along these same lines, girls are often characterized as the nurturing, empathetic side of God.
Yet, MAN is made in the image of God and so both boys and girls have these aspects of God, just in varying degrees. Lately, both boys have shown a precious, nurturing side with their stuffed animals. Since birth, Trenton has had a penguin and Sawyer an elephant. It warms my heart when Trenton will say, "Pino is crying because he's scared" as he holds him tightly to his chest. Or tonight, when Sawyer dragged the laundry basket into my room with elephant in it covered in a blanket and said, "shhhh baby is sleeping." This is all before Kellen is born, so it's not simply mimicking my actions with a new baby. I believe they are acting on God's glorious design for us, which includes both "male" and "female" traits. How special for me to see the care and tenderness of our Father displayed even in my rough and tumble boys.

2 comments:
I love this Danielle! So sweet to read about you and your boys.
This is so inspirational to me, Danielle! Can't wait to experience for myself what I love reading about from you. Thanks!
P.S. I totally want to frame that John Eldridge quote and put in in my son's room as a daily reminder :)
Post a Comment