Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Tooth Fairy Saga

On Friday, Sawyer lost his first tooth. Unlike Trenton, whose tooth hung on for dear life, this one popped right out prompting all the excitement and triumph of a first-timer.


It wasn't until later that night that I realized I didn't have the requisite gold dollar coin to replace said tooth. Thankfully, I opened the next day. So, at 4:30 in the morning, I snuck into their room and STOLE Trenton's gold coin right from his piggy bank to put in the dish on the window sill. Real super mom move, taking from one to trick the other.

Sawyer woke to his treasure the next morning, feeling like the richest man in the world. I figured I was golden; I made it to the bank and stocked up on gold dollars, dropping one in Trenton's piggy bank when he wasn't looking. Well, I didn't factor in my future historian, who casually mentioned a few days later that he and Sawyer both got Martin Van Buren on their presidential dollars. I did not ask, therefore did not receive, a Martin Van Buren coin from the bank. Meaning whatever I dropped into Trenton's bank is something else. I'm going to have some hard questions to answer if they ever decide to empty their piggy banks and compare. Ugh.

And the drama and the lying to my kids about made-up fairies continued, as not even a week later, Trenton lost his fourth tooth.



Last night I actually had my coin ready ... and fell asleep. This morning, Sawyer comes running to the breakfast table yelling, "the tooth fairy didn't come!"

"I know," Trenton replies despondently.

"WHAT?" I gasp! Half out of shock, because I had forgotten up until that moment, and half out of utter disappointment and failure.

All three are sitting at the breakfast table facing each other, so I slip my hand in my purse, and walk the coin to the bedroom.

"Did you look under the dish with the tooth?" I yell as I place it directly underneath. 

"No...." and he runs in to check. AHA!

'Maybe she thought you wanted to keep your tooth this time," I fumble. "Didn't you say that?"

"No, I did," chimes in Sawyer. "I said I wanted to keep my top tooth so I can remember it forever."

"Well, she must have figured Trenton would want to keep his too."

"How did she know?" Sawyer, my inquisitor, demands.

Uhhhh "She can hear you. She's magic like Santa."

"Ohhhh, well, then for my next tooth I want a silver half dollar." He grins. "And I'll get it because she can hear me!"

Sigh. That tooth is already dangling dangerously. Now for a run to the bank for some SILVER dollars, because ... the tooth fairy heard, so it must be done.

No comments: