No, really, I was surprised at how well I handled it for a notorious crier. We got up to the alarm, which we hadn't done since I started working nights. I packed his Scooby Doo lunch box, making sure I grabbed a fruit roll up from the box he had chosen at Target as his special "school only snack." We put it in his Ninja Turtles back pack and after a quick breakfast (he was too excited to eat) left for school.
Of course, he walked right in the classroom when we got there, confident and eager. I had to remind him to kiss me and say goodbye, which he did quite tenderly, and then ran off again into the big, wide, mommy-less world of school.
Walking to my car, I teared up a little, until I saw a couple trying to leave their son who was screaming and being held back by two teachers. Really, I thought, would you rather he was so attached to you he couldn't even enjoy his first day?? Of course not! So the tears stopped and I drove home excited for his new adventure, but counting down the hours until I could pick him up and hear all about it.
The progression:



Since then, school has become a normal part of our week. He goes to sleep every night asking if the next day is school and when I pick him up, he tells me he wants to stay there forever. Then this past Thursday, Miss Tammy stopped me on the way out to praise Trenton, which of course is every mother's delight. She told me how smart Trenton is and how much he enjoys answering all the questions so that they have even had to ask him to let the other kids pipe in sometimes! Oh how I am not surprised at my typical, know-it-all firstborn =)
2 comments:
This was so precious.
So Shawna would tell you that the difference between Trenton's reaction and the other childs is a difference between a healthy and an unhealthy attachment. Another reason to be happy.
He's such a cute little man!
hugs,
Terri
Something tells me Camilo will NOT be this calm/cool when he goes to school...
Post a Comment