Saturday, January 8, 2011

Let the little children come to me

We got Trenton his first Bible for Christmas and he was so excited. Opening it, he exclaimed "a Jesus book!" Since then, we've made it part of our nightly ritual to read a story and discuss it with the boys. It's amazing how much they understand and how much they retain from each lesson. Today was especially precious, when I went looking for Sawyer and found him alone in his room quietly reading to himself from the Bible. What a lesson for me as an adult to see how enthralled they are with the word of God.


This reminded me of a story from Christmas Eve that I meant to blog about. Our church only had kids' classes for kids under 3, so Trenton and Sawyer had to be in big church. It's so easy to assume a five year old won't benefit from an adult service. I was wrong. That night, Landon had a conversation with Trenton and immediately after he shared it with me, I made him write it down:

(from Landon) I walked in to say goodnight to the older two boys and said a prayer with them. Then Trenton said, I want to tell you something about church Dad. I said okay, and he then proceeded to tell me an incredible truth.

He stated, “The Light came to earth Dad but they did not like the Light.”
“Wow. What is the Light, Trenton?”
“Jesus is the Light. They did not like him because they wanted to do evil.”
“That’s right bud.”
“We like the Light because we love Jesus.”

My heart was instantly melted as tears welled in my eyes. He had heard the Scripture and message loud and clear from the Christmas Eve service. A 5 year old was able to tell exactly what the pastor spoke about. Perhaps Big Church is not so big after all for him.

No comments: