Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Hallelujah

There is silence in my house right now. Granted it's 10:45 at night, but this past week all I've heard is Trenton crying around this time. We took the paci away last week Tuesday. He did fine the first day. It was almost like he thought we had just forgotten to give it to him! Then the second day, the crying started. He didn't want ruggy, blanket, Blue (from Blue's Clues) or Private Penguin - all the items that keep him company in the crib. Every one of them got tossed overboard without a thought. He'd never come up with a name to call his paci so he couldn't cry out for what he wanted. Instead, he would cry out, "mooooom, daaaaaad, pleeeeeees." It was heart wrenching. On Monday, I told Landon, if he's still crying in a week, I'm giving it back. Trenton kept getting crankier by the day because he couldn't sleep well at night and then he wouldn't take a good nap either. Landon kept reminding me that it takes 21 days to make or break a habit. Well, thank goodness it didn't :-) Today is day #9 and the habit is broken. He went down perfectly for his nap, but I was too scared to hope. Then tonight he went right to bed with a pat on dad's back and a kiss for mom. No tears. One battle in motherhood is now conquered.

3 comments:

The Vint Family said...

Good job Danielle in sticking to your decision...it is SOO hard to do especially when they cry and give you that look....but you did awesome! :) Now you get a little break. :)

Amber said...

way to go Dani!

Melissa Stephenson said...

Good job guys! I've heard so many horror stories - I do not look forward to that day. But it's good to know you that eventually you can make it! =)